Prof. Meena Hariharan - Director
The Centre for Health Psychology is the first ever Centre in Health Psychology in the Country, and was established in the University in 2007. The research focus of the Centre includes biopsychosocial aspects of chronic illness, quality of life, neuropsychological studies, ICU trauma, reproductive health, psycho-oncology, disability studies, resilience studies, and peace studies.
The Centre is equipped with an Experimental Laboratory, Counseling Laboratory, Behaviour Technology Laboratory, and Sleep Laboratory. The Experimental Laboratory has modern instruments and about 200 standardized psychological tests. The Counseling Laboratory is a state-of-the-art laboratory to train the students in micro skills of counseling. The Behaviour Technology Laboratory trains students in relaxation therapy using Biofeedback, Neurofeedback, and other Behaviour Therapy techniques. The Sleep Laboratory is equipped with Polysomnography system to conduct research related to sleep.
Health Psychology is a holistic approach to Health and Well-being. The holistic approach shifts the emphasis of health from biomedical to biopsychosocial model. Health Psychology is the field within psychology that studies every aspect from wellness to illness. It focuses on health promotion and maintenance; prevention and treatment of illness; the etiology and correlates of health, illness and dysfunction and improvement of health care system.
Career Opportunities after IMSc/ MSc
• Take up research
• Employment in hospitals to provide therapeutic intervention to the patients
• Employment in IT industry for optimizing employee health and organizational output
• Consultant to health agencies
• Faculty in Universities and Colleges
• Also eligible to write all competitive examinations conducted by UPSC, State PSC and other Central and State Government recruitment agencies according to their specified criteria as par with other post graduate students.