Scientific knowledge and technological artifacts have been powerful forces in transforming the consciousness and material conditions in the society. Questions of ethics have become extremely important in the context of unraveling of the human genome. The Centre aims to focus in its teaching and research activities on the areas of understanding the dynamics of knowledge production in natural sciences and engineering; socio-technical process of application of knowledge in different domains, etc.
1. Understanding the dynamics of knowledge production in natural sciences and engineering; socio-technical process of application of knowledge and its economic, social, legal, environmental and ethical implications;
2. Social, economic, cultural dimensions of innovation process and impacts of science and technology on economy, polity and culture;
3. Environmental issues arising out of the impacts of science and technology. Forexample, global warming and climate change, risks associated with genetically
modified organisms to the environment;
4. Policy issues, including regulatory issues in the context of the IPRs regime at the national and international level.. Science and technology policy making and civil society organizations and role of civil society in innovations;
5. Indigenous knowledge systems in the areas of agriculture, health and medicine and their institutionalization;
6. National system of Innovation in India in the context of globalization and sustainable development
a) Teaching: In the academic year 2009-10 the Centre started an interdisciplinary Ph.D. programme with an intake of 3 students from different discipline.
Coordinator: Dr. C. Raghava Reddy
Department of Sociology
School of Social Sciences
Phone No. 040-23133258 / 23133250