Student VisaHow to get a student visa? Read on.
It is mandatory for an international student to get an Indian Student Visa. Ph.D. students must obtain a Research Visa. UoH sends the letter offering admission to the prospective international students, which can be used to obtain Student/Research Visa at the nearest Indian Consulate.
- International students who wish to study in India should obtain a Student/Research Visa before travelling to India.
- Once the student has been issued a confirmed admission letter to study at the University, he/she should immediately apply for Student/ Research Visa.
- The student should apply for a Student/Research Visa before coming to India by contacting the Indian Mission in his/her home country.
- The Indian Mission will be able to inform the normal processing time for a visa application, which may be somewhere between 3 to 8 weeks.
- For more information, an international student should contact the Indian mission in his/her home country.
What is a Student Visa?
Student Visas are issued for the duration of the academic course of study or for a period of five years (whichever is less), on the basis of confirmed admission to Universities in India. During this period you will not be permitted to change the purpose of your stay or your institution.
What is a Research Visa?
Research visas are given to Ph.D. students and Research Professor or Scholars and participants attending research conferences/seminars/workshops. Applicants are requested to apply at least 6 weeks before the date of their departure to India and Visas will be valid for entry into India after four weeks of issue. Validity would coincide with the research period. Spouse and dependent family members accompanying the applicant must apply for an Entry Visa (NOT Tourist Visa). The applicant should apply with the subject of their research project, details of places to be visited, previous visits, whether the scholar has secured admission and evidence of financial resources. While applying, the applicant must submit the original letter of admission. Emails or photocopies of admission letters will not be accepted.
It may take up to three months after the submission of the application to get a Visa.
What are the pre-requisites for procuring a Visa?
To apply/be eligible for a Student/Research Visa, please keep in mind the following conditions:
- If you are on Government of India scholarships, the respective Indian missions would be advised by Indian Council of Cultural Relations (ICCR) to issue a regular Student/Research Visa after your admission in an Indian university is confirmed.
- On the other hand, if you are coming as a self-financing student, you need to produce confirmed letters of admission from university in India for obtaining the regular Student Visa.
Can I get the visa even if I don’t have a confirmed admission letter?
You can get a Provisional Student Visa by the Indian missions abroad, on the basis of provisional letters of admissions. However, Provisional Student Visa is valid only for 3 months. Within these 3 months, your admission needs to be confirmed otherwise you will have to leave India.
Where can I apply for the visa?
One can apply for a visa from any of the Indian Embassies/High Commission. To view the list of Indian Embassies/High Commission. www.mea.gov.in
Rules & regulations that I need to conform to while applying for Student Visa?
Yes, while applying for the visa you need to keep in mind the following regulations:
- Passport, valid for a minimum of six months beyond the date of intended departure from India, should accompany your visa application.
- Students holding other nationalities (other than the country where applying for visa), should submit proof of long-term (at least three years)/ permanent residence in the country (where applying).
- For citizens of other countries, a reference has to be made to their country of residence for which an additional fee is applicable and will involve extra processing time. Please refrain from making inquiries about the status of application during this time.